Thursday, March 26, 2015

Meet our Cast: Bradley Behrmann

Bradley plays Duke, Pippi’s ex-boyfriend, and another resident of the trailer park, Travis T-bone.

Hi Bradley! Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?

I was a high school music teacher and actor in St. Louis for the last nine years.  The idea of going to grad school grew larger and larger every year until I eventually couldn't ignore it any more.  I wanted a program that would develop me both as a performer and as an educator.  I found SDSU, and the rest is history.  Actually, there's loads more to this story.  Check out my blog about it:  https://7halfcents.wordpress.com/ 

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give? 

Chill out.  You're on the right path.  You feel behind, but you're not.  Just keep learning.  Cut your hair. 


Who are your acting/ singing heroes or inspirations?  Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform? 

 I find myself aspiring to performers who have three names:  Brian Stokes Mitchell, Neil Patrick Harris, Brian D'Arcy James, David Hyde Pierce, etc.  


How is this musical different from other musicals you’ve performed in?


I have never been in a show where I've had the opportunity to rock out like Duke does in "Roadkill."  I am excited to sing such a raw, rock 'n' roll number.

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical?  Would they be friends with your character?

My favorite role to date would be Brit Craig in Parade.  He would be fascinated by the low-life characters he finds, but only in so far as he could write a scathing story exposing the scandal in Armadillo Acres.  As a star reporter, he would figure out a way to capitalize upon their problems.  

If you lived in the park, how would your trailer be decorated? 

Neon beer signs?  I would probably be considered part of the class of residents like Pickles's husband who has fancy tastes like "foreign beers and cheese that smells like urine."

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?

I am unlike Duke in almost every respect.  Duke sniffs markers and wields guns.  He is impulsive and violent.  He also dates a stripper.  But we both like to drive fast.  And we both enjoy a bit of schadenfreude.  I need to sing from there.  


What is Trailer Park about, to you?

It is a story of redemption and forgiveness.  No, really, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment