Friday, March 13, 2015

Meet our Director-Choreographers Kikau Alvaro and Jacob Brent

We had a chance to ask some questions of Jacob and Kikau regarding their careers and inspirations with The Great American Trailer Park Musical and the results were fantastic. Below is the transcript from those questions with our amazing directors' responses. 
Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU? What inspired you to focus on this MFA for two years? 
Jacob: Before attending SDSU, I had been guest teaching at different universities.  I found that I really enjoyed teaching.  When I was a student, my mentor would often focus on how important it was to give back. The Arts are a passed down education. I’ve been very fortunate in my career to have some success and now its time to give back and pass on the information.
Kikau: I was living in New York and working as a director and choreographer regionally, and had always thought of “pulling of the road” to go to grad school. Jacob, had already applied, and was actually the one to bring to my attention that I had a few days left to apply to SDSU and so I did.  We had been friends and colleagues for years and it was just one of those things that was destined to happen. 
You are both performers, choreographers, and directors. If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give? 
Kikau: I would have told myself to start playing the piano and stick with it.  I have always been musically inclined, but I wish that I had started incorporating playing instruments into my life at an early age.  I love musical theatre so much and I can’t wait for the day that I can accompany myself on a song. Other than that, I would say “do what you love.” I learned very early to really do what made me happy and what made me happy was creating. 
Jacob: You are going to meet a wonderful collaborator named Kikau.  Listen to everything he says because he’s going to make your work better.  I’m sure he answered this question saying the same thing about me.  
Kikau: (After reading Jacob’s answer) Whoops! 
Kikau, you recently were in San Diego Musical Theatre’s West Side Story, a modern retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet. How are the relationships in GATPM different? What classic tales does this musical draw from? 
KikauRomeo & Juliet inspired West Side Story and I believe that West Side Story inspired everything that has followed.  I’m only being a little dramatic, but you rarely saw such a serious topic such as ‘race relations’ in 1957 New York tackled on the stage.  Because audiences today have been exposed to musicals like West Side, they are prepared for modern shows like ‘Trailer Park’.  At its core, ‘Trailer Park’ is a love story, so I guess that is similar, but the show is fun, not so gritty. 
Jacob, we heard you were in CATS on Broadway, in the video production, and in London. What would Mr. Mistoffelees have to say about this musical?
Jacob: He would probably say it would be so much better if he had a number in it.  

What drew you two to this show? What is Trailer Park about, to you?
Kikau: Well, I am very selective about what projects I choose to align myself with.  This is one of those shows that I have loved, but never thought I would have the chance to work on.  Trailer Park gives us a musical that takes place in an unexpected place. Whether you have been to or lived in a trailer park, there is something mysterious about it and the people who live there.  The musical gives us a glimpse into the musicalized version of their lives.  It is pure fun. 
Jacob: Trailer Park is about celebrating a culture in America who enjoys tractor pulls and watching Duck Dynasty.  

Can you two tell us something about the different musical and dance styles in Trailer Park
Kikau: You will just have to come and see the show.  All I can say is this show is very fun and the music and dance will be exciting. 
What are some of the challenges of directing this musical?
Jacob: What’s most important to me is that we aren't making fun of these characters.  I want the audience to laugh with these characters and not at these characters.

Kikau: Working with Jacob. 
Jacob: (After reading Kikau’s answer) Wow! 
Who are your directing heroes or inspirations?
Kikau: I am inspired by the great director/choreographers of Broadway: Jerome Robbins, Tommy Tune, and Susan Stroman to name a few.  I am currently obsessed with everything that Alex Timbers and Josh Bergasse are doing. 
Can you tell us a bit about SDSU’s production and what you’ll be doing that may be new for this audience?
Kikau: Well, normally, this show is performed with only a cast of 7, and Jacob and I have decided to add an ensemble. We are thrilled to populate the trailer park with brand new characters.  The Don Powell is a wide stage and really asks for people to be on it.  Matt, Allie, Kelty, and Holly are going to add so much to the show and really help us tell this story. 
What one thing do you want audiences to know before they see the show? 

Kikau: The characters in Trailer Park have a real relationship with the audience, so when you come to see the show feel free to hoot, holler, and have a good time! 
Director-Choreographer: Jacob Brent
Director-Choreographer: Kikau Alvaro 

No comments:

Post a Comment