Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Meet our Cast: Holly Echsner

Ensemble member Holly Echsner plays another resident of the trailer park, Britney Jean.

Hi Holly! Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?



I started theatre when I was eight years old and fell in love with it. Doing all activities growing up, theatre was the one thing I never could give up. During my freshman year of high school I was casted as Ariel in Footloose and ever since I performed in that show I put my focus toward readying myself for college. During the spring of Junior year I auditioned for six schools while performing in Little Shop of Horrors as Audrey. It was very stressful but once I found out my video audition for San Diego State was switched admitted my life was heading in the direction I always dreamed of. I being from the “Bay Area” of California was able to chase my dreams without leaving the Sunny California weather, and be in the same state as my family.

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give?

Not to obsess over the main roles. At the beginning, I was always focused on who was the best character in the show, instead of what character was right for me.

Who are your acting/ singing heroes or inspirations?  Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform?

I find myself always following characters that Idina Mezel has played. If I could be half as amazing as the Broadway performer she is, I would be content.

How is this musical different from other musicals you’ve performed in?


This musical is very different from other musicals I have performed in because I have never been apart of the trailer park experience. Also being an ensemble member, I get to make my own character, which is sometimes a reach.

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical? Would they be friends with your character?

My favorite roles I have played in a past musical would be Amneris in Aida. My character would have no idea how society had turned to such trash. Amneris wouldn’t associate herself with anyone from this musical because she a princess who has to keep her standards high.

If you lived in the park, how would your trailer be decorated? 

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?

If I personally lived in the park my trailer would probably be decked out in cheetah, but brown cheetah. I play many different characters throughout the show but I think they all struggle with the same problem of getting by in the trailer park community as better then anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment