Friday, March 27, 2015

Meet our Cast: Jessica Humphrey

Jessica plays the role of Jeannie Garstecki, longtime resident of the trailer park and agoraphobic housewife.

Hi Jessica! Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?

I am originally from Dallas, Texas- I lived there up through high school and my family still lives there today. I studied dance, voice, acting with amazing teachers and performed in many shows growing up. I went to undergrad at Western Carolina University where I received a Bachelor in Music in Musical Theatre in three and a half years. Before graduation I already had my first "post-college professional job" at found myself consistently working in small regional theaters. I moved my home base to New York City- specifically Washington Heights- where I worked as a nanny/babysitter and at an adorable boutique, when I wasn't out of town doing shows of course! I have always had the idea of running a Musical Theatre program for undergraduate students at some point, but knew I needed a Masters degree to make that possible. On the advice of teachers, coaches and friends, I knew that I had to go get the degree soon, rather than waiting until I was already established in New York. I knew that SDSU was one of two programs in the nation, and after much deliberation of my options, I decided to be a part of a great program in one of the most beautiful places in the country. What can I say, it just felt right! 

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give? 

My sister is also a musical theatre major and I find myself telling her some things I wish someone had told me at the beginning of my career: you can't be all things to all people- choose what you like about yourself and be confident in sharing that with other people. Also, rejection happens every day in this business (even multiple times a day), the more you can get used to letting each audition go after it is over- the better! And finally- always reward yourself with a treat after each audition! We do something not many people do and have to go on what is basically a job interview each day- give yourself a pat on the back and don't dwell on any negativity. I know, personally, I am my own worst critic, don't listen to any of that! 


Who are your acting/ singing heroes or inspirations?  Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform? 

Tough one! I have had so many wonderful teachers and inspirations so far in my life, that I have lots of people to channel when I perform. For example, I had the pleasure of becoming very close to Terrence Mann and Charlotte d'Amboise starting when I was 16 years old. These are two working Broadway performers from such shows as Cats, Beauty and the Beast, Chicago, Les Mis, etc. I consider the two of them to be my mentors in many ways. Not only as inspirations of performers that have had successful careers, but as two people who have stayed grounded and caring towards each other and their daughters while balancing those careers. Of course, I will always think of Charlotte while dancing and try to add her attack and fearlessness into my performance. Terry's voice is also in my head when I sing to make sure I am "acting the song" and making sure every emotion is specific and being played as clearly as possible. Just as important, though, is making sure I carve out time for my life outside of performing and creating opportunities to share my work without being in a show. They also inspired me to become an educator by giving me opportunities to assist them on projects, and for that, I am forever grateful! 

(Long winded answer-sorry!)

How is this musical different from other musicals you’ve performed in?

For me, it is funny how similar this musical is to much of my past work! I feel like I am going to be using my (not real) Texas twang for the rest of my life- which is great! While in college, I spent two summers working at Wild Adventures Theme Park in Valdosta, GA and one of the shows I performed was called Country Rocks Live! This show was a 40 min revue of all things country- complete with accents and cowboy hats. It was a blast to learn that style of singing relatively early and get back in touch with my Texas roots (though I am not a country music fan). It proved useful in my first job out of college- 9 to 5 the Musical by Dolly Parton. I ended up working on this show for the better part of a year in two different states and am continually called in to audition for it. Right after 9 to 5, I was thrilled to play the title role in Annie Get Your Gun, where, again, my accent served me well. While this musical might be set in Florida and a more contemporary time, the style and twang are very similar!

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical?  Would they be friends with your character?

Well one of my favorite roles was Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun. I feel like she would've felt right at home in the trailer park and been friends with everyone! What I love about both those musicals is that they both carry a message that being from the "country" and having an unique living situation does not mean you are a dumb person or are trashy. Annie Oakley might not have been very book smart, but she knew how to take care of herself and her family besides being insanely talented and loving. I think that the same is true for many of the characters in Trailer Park. 

If you lived in the park, how would your trailer be decorated? 

I am a proponent of "less is more" when it comes to decorating, maybe just because I need help making things match! I imagine my trailer would be a lot like the homes on Tiny Houses seen on HGTV- not a lot of space, but making use of each and every nook and cranny. I lived in New York for two and a half years, besides many years of "cast housing", and know how to make use of not only small space, but a temporary space! I learned how to make a room that I would be living in for six weeks, feel like home with a nice lamp, rug and a bright comforter for my bed. My trailer would be full of interesting storage options so as to keep the clutter to a minimum! 

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?

I think the most unique challenge for Jeannie is that she is agoraphobic. This means that she will have a panic attack if met with a wide open space. Some people who suffer from agoraphobia, refuse to travel outside of their own home, like Jeannie.

Another interesting challenge for Jeannie is that she and her husband have obviously lost some spark after 20 years of marriage that has been confined to a trailer, and he ends up chasing another woman. While I have never been in this exact situation, I can imagine that Jeannie feels betrayed, disappointed, anguished, and enraged at the sight of her husband with another woman. I also think her jealousy and resentment fuel her to stand up for what she wants and not back down from a fight as easily as she did at the beginning of the musical. Of course, her passionate love for Norbert finally gives her the clarity to forgive him, which I think is just beautiful. Today, I don't think we see many people stand up for their marriages and love as much as we see the side of destruction and two people "giving up" because things went wrong. This musical gives audiences a refreshing change of pace. 

What is Trailer Park about, to you?

To me, this is a story of a woman's journey from self-conscious to self confident, with the help of her friends and neighbors. It, of course, highlights different stories and let's the audience in on other's points of view, but it is a love story between a man and a woman and love between friends. I love that this show reminds the audience that people come in all shapes, personalities and living situations, but we are PEOPLE with PROBLEMS- you never know what someone else is going through. It is also a story of forgiveness, which I said before, is nice to see onstage and be reminded that love, given the chance, can conquer all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment