Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Meet the cast: Matt Gibson

Can you briefly describe your journey to SDSU?
Before I was at SDSU I spent two years at University of Nevada, Reno where i started out undeclared focusing on starting a poli-sci major. Then I heard that UNR was putting on Anything Goes and I decided to audition, which is how I got cast as the lead and why I decided to pursue acting as a career. To follow my career path I decided it would be a fantastic idea to transfer to SDSU, where my experiences have done nothing but grow over the last two years.

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what peice of advice would you give?
I would tell myself to work harder and trust yourself to be able to do what is needed . I would also tell myself not to feel pressured to try to do 10 things at once and focus on one thing to have the best final product I can give.

Who are your acting/singing heroes? is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform?My acting heroes would probably be Hugh Jackman, Kevin Spacey, Mel Torme, Sidney Poitier, many more I cant think of right now. I happen to channel any actor who has done a character similar to the specific one I'm performing.

How is this musical different than other musicals you've performed in?
This musical is the first musical I've been in where everyone is dedicated to the show, and that everyone is willing to go all the way for their characters. Its super awesome, and its as if everyone actually came from a trailer park.

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals? what would that character say about this musical? Would they be friends with your character?
My favorite role was actually my most previous one, Marius of Les Mis. Marius would probably feel way out of touch with people totally comfortable to live in hot trailers in Florida. He would definitely not be friends with my characters in Trailer Park because they're dim witted and crass.

If you lived in a trailer, how would you have it decorated?
I would have a lot of lights and posters, with a lot of space for books and a small carpet.

What are some unique challenges of your character?
He really just wants to get hired as the high school coach. But hes been hit so many times in the head he struggles to get any job.

What is trailer park about, to you?
I think Trailer Park is about everyone dealing with struggles in their lives, and then through various failures, complications, and events, leads them to face their struggles and overcome what has held them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment