Thursday, April 16, 2015

Meet our Cast: Randall Eames

Randall Eames plays Jeannie’s husband, the toll collector, Norbert Garstecki.

Hi Randall!  Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?

One of my mentors was previously the head of the MFA in musical theatre program.  He suggested that I look into the program when I consulted him about possibly pursuing a Masters.  I looked at the program and it seemed to be the only place for me.  I only applied to this program, and luckily was accepted.  

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give?

I would tell myself to do everything.  Seriously, take every voice lesson, go to every dance class, take every acting class you can.  The more people you work with, and the more things you know, the more jobs and opportunities you will get.  

Who are your acting/ singing heroes or inspirations?  Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform? 

There isn't really anyone that I see myself mimicking.  Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of very talented people out there who I could learn a lot from, but I don't really wake and say, "I'm going to try to be them. 

How is this musical different from other musicals you’ve performed in?

As a performer, this musical feels like home to me.  I do a lot of comedy ad satire, and I feel right at home.

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical?  Would they be friends with your character?

My favorite role that I have played in the past is Willard from Footloose.  I think Willard and Norbert would totally get along.  I've drawn from similar sources to create both of them, so really, they're siblings.  

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?

The biggest challenge I'm having with Norbert with that of playing an older man in this relationship.  I'm not necessarily trying to play age, but I am trying to look at how he would respond in situations through an aged perspective.  

What is Trailer Park about, to you?

Trailer Park, to me, is about love.  All of the characters in the show are looking for love in some way.  Sometimes it's romantic love, sometimes it is just friendship.  Everyone wants to be understood and accepted, and at the end of the day, loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment