Friday, April 10, 2015

Meet our Cast: Courtney Kattengell

Courtney Kattengell plays Pippi, the stripper on the run who ends up in Armadillo Acres.

Hi Courtney! Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?

I recently graduated with my Bachelor’s degree from Marymount Manhattan College in New York City and I knew I didn’t want to settle down in New York just quite yet, if ever really. I just felt like I was on a different path than other performers in my class, meaning I have always had this passion for history, pedagogy, education, and research in Musical Theatre as well as performance. I could see myself wanting to be the one creating the dances and teaching the group too. I want to teach other aspiring artists why things are created a certain way and what goes into it all, the antecedents, etc. A professor of mine at Marymount had suggested SDSU early on in my undergraduate studies because she could see those passions I mentioned before. So after graduation, I took some time to go back to my hometown of New Orleans, LA to work as an actress while I gathered the necessary materials to apply here. I knew SDSU was the perfect fit for me after I did my research about this program and all it had to offer, and after meeting with Paula Kalustian and Rob Meffe I had this incredible feeling of what I could accomplish under the faculty and guidance here. It has been an incredible experience so far. 

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give?

Stretch everyday and don’t kill yourself doing choreography! I grew up dancing a lot and I would do crazy, ridiculous things to my body full out in rehearsals. My body could be in pain, and I’d still go full force. At the time, I bounced back from it and it was fine, but not taking care of your body could be a detriment to your career. Luckily, I am ok but it’s amazing how difficult things can be now when I didn’t listen to my body all those year before when it just needed some rest and care. It’s the same with vocal training as well. Our bodies, just as voices, are our instruments in this business. If we don’t take care of them and listen to them when they are hurt, we are just making it worse. That is something I wish I had known when I was younger because yes it is important to do this craft full out to the best of our capabilities, but it’s more important that we understand our instruments and help them grow. I love what I do and want to be able to do it a long time.

Who are your acting/singing heroes or inspirations?  Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform? 

Oh gosh, let’s see… I was deeply affected by Shirley Temple as a child. I remember just being captivated by her performances. Heidi was my favorite. It’s not even a musical, but I loved it and my brother and sister would get so angry with me because I begged (and often got my way) to watch it almost every Sunday at our grandmother’s house. Billy Joel is also someone I am been greatly inspired by. His music and the way he tells a story and fleshes out the emotions is brilliant to me. So many good songs! And singable songs. I have always thought they were theatrical and dramatic enough to perform, and they have such great melodies. He was one of the first artists I remember listening to and immediately staging, choreographing, or imagining a story to. Thinking back on it, it all kind of makes more sense why I ended here in a program in which we do those things. Also, comedy has been a major influence on my life. I love to laugh, and I love making people laugh. I used to watch, ad nauseam, Carol Burnett videos and just mimic her. She was just the best to me. Then, of course, I was always captivated by dance. I was attracted to the work of Bob Fosse from an early age. I was much too young to understand the spirit and meaning behind his work, but I knew I loved it and wanted dance it one day. And now that I have done some Fosse training, I just crave more. His women were so sexy. He made women look amazing, and I really admired that. I mean, I could watch videos of Gwen Verdon dancing any day. As far as Broadway performers, I’d have to say one of my biggest heroes is Sutton Foster. I know that is pretty much the answer for any female in Musical Theatre, but I love how she just does her. She works really hard, is humble, and remains true to herself. What’s not to admire about that? She is also insanely talented; Quite the triple threat. Also, some of my friends have been such inspirations to me. My friend Josh, for instance, is one of the most hardworking performers I know. And he’s kind and humble and smart and just so wildly talented. The years I have had watching him perform have truly been inspiring to me. Thank you, Josh.


How is this musical different from other musicals you’ve performed in?

I have never been in a musical with this many parodies of songs and references to pop culture or other artists’ work. This show really uses similar melodies to well-known musical styles and songs and satirizes what life is like living in a trailer park. I’ve done contemporary comedic shows with different subject matter, but the way the musical styles are utilized in this show is what is new to me. It’s a really nice challenge.  I’d say that is the biggest difference. 


Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical?  Would they be friends with your character?

Charity from Sweet Charity, hands down. I want to play the role again. I want another crack at her. And considering she is a dance hall hostess, which is a stripper, she’d probably be best friends with Pippi. Charity is friendly with most everyone. And Pippi reminds me a lot of what Nikki and Helene were like to Charity. I see Pippi as the Nikki character in Sweet Charity, and Nikki was Charity’s best girl friend. Nikki was tough but she had Charity’s back. Pippi is exactly that way. She has had to take care of herself since she was sixteen years old. She’s tough but she cares. And she is loyal to the nth degree. So seeing as Charity and Pippi are both strippers and can relate to each other, yes they would be great friends… Am I just now discovering a "type casting" situation going on here? Hm.

If you lived in the park, how would your trailer be decorated? 

Me? As Courtney? Well here’s the thing about me… I always have such big ideas of what I want my place to look like, feel like, smell like, etc., but it rarely ever happens that I execute such thoughts. I leave frames in the closet before I ever get around to hanging them up. Really. I discover them in the closet as I start packing to move out. So sadly, my trailer would probably be kind of bare. At least concerning the walls. I’m pretty simple when it comes to furniture as well. Just needs to work. I think the most unique thing about my trailer would be the fact that my living space would essentially be my whole closet and dressing area. I am known to have clothes all over my apartment. And I have ALOT of clothes and shoes. Too many. But I like to have a versatile wardrobe. I’m a mess. 

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?

She’s the other woman. The challenge is making the audience like her and feel for her, even though what she is agreeing to with Norbert is wrong. She is not a bad person, not a villain. I think on paper or initial readings/viewings it would be easy to assume Pippi is a bitch. But she is just a lonely, confused, beaten up emotionally (and perhaps physically) woman. Everyone she has ever loved has abandoned her. If her parents were around, they didn’t raise her. She had herself so she did what she had to do to feed herself and get shelter over her head. Sometimes that meant staying with a man despite his character. I think as her like progressed she grew stronger and hardened, and probably made a small name for herself stripping, because she was able to get out when she smelled trouble with Duke. I think the hardest part is getting the audience to see all of that and trust that she really does love Norbert. Yes she is desperate for someone to take care of her because she has never had that, but even more so she wants to be loved in ways she gives love. While people might think she is trashy and inappropriate, it is just Pippi’s way of expressing her love and need for emotional connection. In the end, she realizes she needs to keep her head up and press on. But acknowledging that things don’t come easy and sometimes hurt us doesn’t sound like a “home-wrecking slut” to me. No. She is more than that, so really showing that journey is what is going to be hardest but most rewarding for me playing this role.

What is Trailer Park about, to you?

New beginnings. Each character in this musical goes through drastic changes throughout. For Jeannie, she learns to face her fears and taking life by the horns. For Norbert, he follows his heart and allows himself to be happy even in an unhappy marriage. For Pippi, she learns that men aren’t the answer to her problems about love and security. She needs to fulfill her dreams and forgive herself for mistakes and hardships she has faced in the past and just trust that there’s a plan as long as she takes care of herself, inside and out. For the three girls, their journey throughout each song in the show reveals new perspective and change. Lin must start over without the hope of husband hanging in there at the prison, and Pickles must deal with motherhood. Everyone must “stop livin’ in the past and start thinkin’ about tomorrow,” as expressed by Pippi towards the end of the show. It’s really an inspiring message found in the most unlikely of places. That’s what makes this musical fun and special. It’s definitely a story worth sharing and exploring for all its unique colors, and while you’re there you will laugh plenty too!

No comments:

Post a Comment