Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Meet our Cast: Liv Stevns Peterson

Liv Stevns Peterson plays Lin, the fieriest of "The Girls."

Hi Liv! Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?

I was born and raised in Copenhagen, Denmark and I always knew I wanted to work in theatre. I started doing theatre as a child and played the character Kitt, in a very famous Danish kids movie from 1998 (BΓΈlle-Bob, trans: Bully-Bob) I graduated from the Danish Academy of Musical Theatre in 2010 and then worked as a performer in several productions, but also behind the stage and in front of the stage. I was teaching, directing, choreographing and performing and I realized that this combination was very appealing to me. So I applied at SDSU, since there is no Master's program in Denmark, to get the right tools to continue this career. I recall the day when I was accepted as one of the most important days in my life. Feel free to follow my blog and read more about my journey at:


If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give?

When I finished high school, I applied for several theatre programs. I found myself working extremely hard, practicing, auditioning, etc. without getting accepted anywhere or rewarded. It was a really tough time, because I saw my path so clearly, but nobody around me seemed to agree. I wished that someone would have told me that hard work is going to pay off at some point, and that you have to keep going. Also, that the most important reward you can get is your own acceptance, respect and love. As William Shakespeare said: It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.
Luckily, I continued and now I'm here, doing what I love, but sometimes I still need to hear the words: You can do this, just keep going.

Who are your acting/ singing heroes or inspirations?  Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform?

I love musical theatre because it can be so many things and include so many different styles and types of music. I have a very diverse music taste. From Beatles, Joni Mitchell and the Doors to Whitney Houston, Britney and Lady Gaga. I'm also a huge jazz listener and love Christ Thile and his bluegrass Goat Rodeo Sessions. I try to find inspiration in as many different things as possible, everything from people and relationships to the scent of a flower.

How is this musical different from other musicals youve performed in?

First of all it's very American, in the most hilarious way. Even though we are quite up to date with American culture in Denmark, I don't think the show would work in Danish, so I'm very excited to be in the show, it's a great opportunity for me to try something completely different and very far from my comfort zone. I also get to play a pretty tough biker chick, which I have never tried before.

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical?  Would they be friends with your character?

One of my favorite characters is Inga from Young Frankenstein. I think she would love the trailer park, I'm not sure she would quite understand what was going on around her though. She would probably just sit down next to Betty, Lin and Pickles and start tanning.

If you lived in the park, how would your trailer be decorated?

My trailer would probably be very colorful and with lots of pink flamingos. My door would always be open to passing friends and family and I would have a cat and a turtle.

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?

One of the biggest challenges for me is the southern accent. I love it though, it's so much fun to experience during rehearsals. I'm not always sure though if people laugh because I'm very good or very bad. Hahah. But that's irrelevant -as long as they laugh.

What is Trailer Park about, to you?

It's a party. A great evening with lovely friends, fun, tears, problems, frustration, forgiveness and love. With your best rock-country-blues album playing, to the smell of sunburned skin and plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment