Monday, April 6, 2015

Meet our Cast: Julia Cuppy

Our narrators and guides in Trailer Park are a trio of ladies known as “The Girls.”  The feisty leader of the group and caretaker of Armadillo Acres is Betty-- played by Julia Cuppy.

Hi Julia! Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?

For the last nine years, I have had the pleasure of wearing many hats. I was the Producing Artistic Director for a public high school theatre program in Southern Oregon, taught 6 periods of Theatre and English, and was a Oregon Thespian Troupe Director while also performing when I could find the time. This was such a rewarding experience but I had the itch for a change. I didn't know what that change looked like initially, however all I knew was I wanted to advance my skills as an educator and as a performer of musical theatre. After a quick google search, I learned that SDSU is one of only two MFA programs in the country that still offers a MFA degree in Musical Theatre. SDSU's MFA program focuses on fostering artist-scholars and I knew that I would be a great asset to this program and would benefit from its focus. Upon being accepted to the program, I broke the news to my students, friends, and family that my husband and I were moving to Sunny San Diego. It was a bitter-sweet moment. Filled with love and encouragement, my husband, two dogs and I made the move and now have finally settled into life here in Southern California. We don't know what's next but we are enjoying the present moment and look forward to new experiences and making new friends while we are here. 

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give?

A good friend once told me, "Comparison is the thief of joy." I would have liked to hear this advice as an undergrad. I have made many decisions in my life based on what society makes out to be the "right" way. Then, when that path doesn't yield the same results as others then it is easy to think "what is wrong with me?" or "I'm not good enough.". I have found as soon as I start comparing my path with others than the joy around the successes I have had is robbed from me. This isn't fair to me and to the experiences I have had with others. Everyday I have to remind myself to trust the path that I am on and stay true to myself. Also, not to allow anyone, even myself, from stealing the victories in my life, even the smaller ones. It is a daily practice.

Who are your acting/ singing heroes or inspirations?  Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform? 

Meryl Streep, hands down.  She is an actor/singer that fully transforms herself for every part she plays. I love her process developing a character, technical and explorative, and she seems very humble as a person. She started out doing high musicals and has built one of the most highly acclaimed careers for a woman in film history. From my studies at SDSU, I have found myself also channeling all of the strong female pioneers of our art form including Agnes de Mille, Ethel Merman, Dorothy Fields, Betty Comden, Julie Taymor and many others.

How is this musical different from other musicals you’ve performed in?

Trailer Park is unlike any show that I have ever done. Most of the plays that I have done are classic "golden-age" musicals. This show is set during my lifetime with a pop music sound that audiences will identify with especially if you grew up during the 80s and 90s. Maybe I am dating myself but it has been a lot of fun reliving these musical moments. The show is fast-paced, witty, while maintaining a lot of heart. Audiences are in for a wild ride!

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical?  Would they be friends with your character?

I tend to play powerful, female characters that have strong objectives. This last fall, I played Mde. Thenardier in SDSU's concert version of Les Mis. I think Mde. and Bad Ass Betty would have a lot in common and find each other fascinating. But the major difference between the two would be that Betty has her friends to rely on and I think Mde. really only relied on herself. I do think Betty's southern hospitality would charm Mde. and they would become friends easily. Can't you just see them both soakin' up sun while sipping Mint Juleps?

If you lived in the park, how would your trailer be decorated? 

Well, I have to be honest. I grew up in the Alabama and still have family members who live in a trailer park. They are proud, hard working, resourceful and love the sense of community that comes from living in a small, mobile (no pun intended) neighborhood. Many of them decorate their homes with handmade signs, wind chimes, yard decor (which might include a tire flower bed), fresh garden, and a flag of their favorite sports team flying high. ROLL TIDE! I am sure that my house would be decorated in a similar way.

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?

Betty is unique in the sense that the story is told from her perspective with the help of her two friends, Lin and Pickles. She is similar to the "leading player" in Pippin. So, it is really my responsibility to ground the story out and maintain the story line for the audience. Finding the balance between that presentational quality and then also being honest in the representational moments has been a challenge but with the help of our very competent and talented directors, Jacob and Kikau, I am confident that their vision will be achieved and the story will be clear.


What is Trailer Park about, to you?

This show is about the defining moments in our life and how we react to them. I have told my students in the past that "Life is about falling down, but living is getting back up." These characters are at times caricatures for comic effect but in the end they are also human and make mistakes. It is how they react to those mistakes that determine their true character. By the end, they all find their own resolve and like the final song says they "make like a nail and press on" with a stronger determination to live a better life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment