Monday, April 13, 2015

Meet our Cast: Kelli Plaisted

Kelli Plaisted plays the youngest of “The Girls,” Pickles.

Hi Kelli!  Can you briefly describe your journey here to SDSU?

I’ve lived in San Diego my whole life and knew that I didn’t want to leave any time soon.  After high school, I attended Grossmont Community College to save money while doing my General Ed classes.  During that time I also focused on improving my singing and dancing skills.  After two years, I decided it was time to transfer to San Diego State University.  I wasn’t being challenged at Grossmont anymore and knew that I needed to be pushed in order to really grow as a performer.  I am very thankful to the faculty here at SDSU who have truly invested in me and my education. 

If you could meet yourself when you were first beginning your career, what piece of advice would you give? 



One of my professors, Adrian Alita, has a motto that he shares with his students: “You are enough.”  That’s what I would tell myself.  I don’t have to copy someone else’s work to be good.  Trust yourself, be yourself and work hard.

Who are your acting/ singing heroes or inspirations? 

Susan De’Leon and Season Duffy were two mentors I had growing up.  I have an immense amount of respect for them and they’ve been a big inspiration.  These two women have shown me that it is possible to be a wife and a mother as well as an active performer in the community.  They are true professionals and I’m so thankful for their influence in my life. 

Is there anyone you find yourself channeling when you perform? 



I don’t think so.  I focus on just being as genuine and honest to the character as I can when I perform. 

How is this musical different from other musicals you’ve performed in?

This is the very first musical I have ever belted in.  Every other musical that I have been in, I’ve sung using my head voice.  I’ve been working hard on developing my belt and I’m so excited to put my hard work to the test and give it whirl.

Do you have a favorite role from past musicals?  What would that character have to say about this musical?  Would they be friends with your character?

One of my favorite roles was Lena Mable in Athens High at Lambs Players Theatre.  She would love Trailer Park!  She treasures friendship and is all about having a good time.  She’s a bit of an underdog so I think she would really be cheering Jeanie on out of her trailer.  Lena would also be great friends with Pickles.  They are both hopeless romantics and can easily get caught up in the drama. 

If you lived in the park, how would your trailer be decorated? 



My trailer would be filled with fun colors, floral patterns and an abundant of cozy pillows and blankets.  I would fill the walls with all sorts of knickknacks that I find at thrift stores.  Like Norbert says, “Knick-knacks are what make a trailer a home.” It would also have a huge sunroof in the ceiling.  There would be a nice hammock outside, surrounded by flowers and a big piles of books.

What are some of the unique challenges of your character?



The most unique challenge that I’ve been faced with is… playing Pickles as she’s playing someone else.  It’s like character Inception:  It’s Kelli being Pickles being Tina.  One more layer and I’d be in Limbo!  It’s been great coming up with so many diverse characters but it’s difficult keeping them all straight and lined up with Pickles’ point of view.  

What is Trailer Park about, to you?

It’s about second chances… or third chances…or one-hundredth chances.  It’s about love, friendship, forgiveness, but most of all it’s about not giving up.  No matter how many times you get knocked down, it’s about getting back up again.  Just like the finale number says, “You gotta make like a nail, and press on.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment